Wow, I just realized it’s been more than 2 months since I last posted. But, as I have said in the past, no news usually means good news.
Last Friday I came home from school and was going to get things packed up for Renny and me, as we were going to drive 2 1/2 hours to the airport and fly out the next morning to Texas for my cousin’s wedding. Renny was still in her bed from her “rest time” so I picked her up and laid her on the floor to change her diaper. And as she was lying there, I noticed her right foot looked very….odd. It was turned completely sideways. Yikes! I looked around her foot, and I saw no swelling, no warmth, and she did not feel like she had a fever – all classic signs of her previous fractures. However there were a few purplish spots above her heel. I called in T and he didn’t like the looks of it either. After a brief discussion, we decided that we didn’t want to take the chance of us heading to Texas if she indeed had a fracture. SO, T drove her off to the urgent care while I stayed home to pack. After about an hour, T calls and says they took some x-rays, but the doctor there could not see any clear fractures. However, the radiologist was not there, nor Renny’s orthopedic surgeon, whom had been there just moments before, so they didn’t have a real “specialist” to help. Still, the doctor had a theory that perhaps she had fractured her growth plate in her ankle, which cannot be seen as easily on an x-ray. (That seems weird). So, he wrote down some diagnosis that included the name of some type of fracture and wrapped her foot up in a splint. We were to keep her off of it and then T would try to get a hold of her surgeon on Monday.
So, we traveled to Texas and everything went fine. On Monday, T calls the doctor and after some run around (they were going to give Renny some different doctor to work on the fracture – something about urgent care protocol, but after some “discussing” T convinced them to let her regular ortho surgeon take care of it), an appointment was set for Wednesday (today). I could continue on with all of the details of the appointment, but the basic gist is that the surgeon could not see any type of fracture, thought the foot looked fine, and declared there is no fracture. So, after all of that, it was nothing. That’s okay, though, I’m okay with nothing! I would not have wanted another 6+ weeks of more set-back. T thinks we should watch her foot still, though, because he isn’t convinced that there is NOTHING wrong. He’s thinking maybe hyperextension or something. Hopefully, though, it is all fine.
The other set of good news is that Renny is for the first time EVER beginning to purposely make certain sounds, and even try to put the sounds together in an attempt to form a couple of words. This is HUGE. She has never EVER tried to imitate the sounds or words we make, and now in the last couple of weeks, she has started. Baby steps. She has tried to say the word “light” (Liiiiiiiii……) and “up” (I haven’t heard this one), and today she tried to say “cheese” (sscchhheeeeeee……..) and “yo yo” (yyoooooo…..ooooo), (those seem like some strange choices to say!) and also other sound imitations that we do for her. The “light” one is bizarre considering our 5-year-old twins can barely say /l/ words :-). But, I don’t care – I feel this is a HUGE breakthrough, and my hope is that the words will just keep coming more and more. I am so excited for the possibilities….
Also in the past month or so, Renny has finally been purposely moving her legs when we have her in her walker. We have always had to move her legs for her, and she is now trying on her own. She has to move the whole leg, using her hips for big help, but it’s moving. Her left leg more than her right, but again, Baby Steps. And I see this as hope toward bigger possibilities….
AND, finally, Renny has not had any more seizures. (Thank the Lord!)
Prayer Requests: That Renny will be able to avoid catching the flu (T has it right now…), that her talking baby steps will continue to grow and grow, that her brain will figure out how to work with her legs to get the walking motion down, and – for future reference – she will have a shunt revision surgery on November 27th.